Re: [K12OSN] local usb card reader curiosity

I recall having a similar experience with a similar device last year. Unfortunately, the best I could manage, with some help from some folks on the LTSP list, was an understanding of why it works they way it does and not they way you want. All of which I've forgotten by now. Sadly, the short answer is I don't think you can fix it.

Petre

Rob Owens wrote:
I have a Sandisk card reader that I'm using successfully on my thin
clients.  It only has one slot, for SD cards.  Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-ImageMate-Hi-speed-SDDR-89-A15-Package/dp/B00064V6RG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4682886-3202265?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181768340&sr=8-1

I also have a Sandisk 12-in-1 usb card reader which requires some
trickery to use on a thin client, and I'm wondering why.  It's like this
one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-ImageMate-Hi-speed-SDDR-89-A15-Package/dp/B00064V6RG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4682886-3202265?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181768340&sr=8-1

The 12-in-1 card reader works as a local storage device if I insert the
card, then plug the card reader into the usb port.  If I do it the other
way around it does not work.  ie, the normal way:  Plug the card reader
into the usb port and leave it there, then insert the card.  The card
does not get recognized -- no event is triggered (when I monitor a shell
on the thin client).

Any idea why this is? And how could I fix it?
-Rob