[K12OSN] Logons get slower with time with Active Directory/pam_mount (fwd)

Cody Grosskopf cgrossko at wusd.org
Mon Jun 18 15:03:10 UTC 2007

Tom,

I use Gnome not sure what you are using so this might not apply, but I had a huge problem with one processes sticking when users would logout so I found this file /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/PostSession and in that directory there is a file named Default. In this file you can add commands for example the process I wanted to kill was named '3' so I just put /usr/bin/pkill -u $USER 3 and every time a user logs out this is executed so the process would not run after logout anymore.

Again this might not be applicable in your scenario but I thought I would throw it out there.

Cody

>>> Tom Wolfe <twolfe at sawback.com> 06/16/07 10:17 AM >>>
Hi James, thanks for the ideas. I'm not much of an expert with samba so
excues my ignorance here.

- permanent mount space: doesn't this mean that access permissions go the
same for all subfolders of the samba mount (according to the user who
created the share?) I tried this but couldn't figure out a way to overcome
this issue.

- Linux file server: this is actually the solution I'm currently
entertaining. One handy thing I've found with the W2K servers is the
concept of the "Shadow Volume" where users can right-click and obtain
Previous Versions (that I have set to be created twice a day, once at
7:00am, the other at 1:15 pm). This reduces the hassles I have with users
saying "Can you get this file I had three weeks ago that I think I deleted
a week or two ago" etc. Does anything like this exist with Linux?

- where could I find documentation on samba with K12LTSP so I can use the
K12LTSP server as a windows file server?

Thanks,
Tom Wolfe