Re: [K12OSN] Custom menus?

On 6/19/07, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
Huck wrote:
> perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but is this windows-manager specific?
> if using ICEWM you should be able to edit /usr/share/icewm/menu
>
> and create all that you need...
>
> I created a custom menu for the elementary school that has programs
> grouped by grade level (even though some 8th graders really like
> GCompris *boggles*)
>
> not sure about restricting a menu-item/group to a specific usergroup..

I'd prefer it not to be wm-specific but as long as it works in gnome and
kde it would be OK - and launchers on the desktop/folders seem to work
in both.  Any program that knows how to draw something that looks like a
menu and start other programs would work.  I know shell scripting and
perl, but nothing about GUI programs or user interfaces so it needs to
be simple (or a set of launcher files in a directory tree all written by
a shell or perl script...).

The desktop file spec describes launchers that will work in both GNOME and KDE:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

Stuff them in a folder on a user's desktop, and away you go. Should be
reasonable to script that.

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services