Re: [K12OSN] DHCP and different LTSP distros

Yes, but it depends on how your network is set up.  Because of how DHCP works, your DHCP server would need an interface on each of the LTSP client segments.  For example, I used to netboot x86, PowerPC, and SPARC clients, with each of these three types on its own Ethernet segment and IP subnet.  I chose 192.168.0.0/24 for the x86 (the default that comes with K12LTSP), 192.168.2.0/24 for the Power Macs, and 192.168.3.0/24 for the UltraSPARCs  (192.168.1.x was the school LAN).  My DHCP server (also my LTSP demo server, BTW) therefore had four NICs in it--one for 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, and 192.168.3.x.  I also made a DHCP scope for each of these subnets.  Worked like a charm.

So, here's what you'd do.  Build your central DHCP server, using CentOS, a Cisco router, or whatever--anything except Microsoft's DHCP server (it's too much of a pain for netbooting).  You'll need one interface on your DHCP server for each of those LTSP segments in your building, plus your management interface hanging off the main school LAN.  Since you have two K12LTSP servers, that's three interfaces.  Then, run a cable from the appropriate Ethernet interface on your DHCP server to each of the LTSP segments; if you have managed switches and trunked VLAN's, this becomes quite easy.  You can just use VLANs to segment your LTSP client segments from the main school LAN.

Just to state the obvious:  yes, this DHCP server would be wonderful for the main LAN too.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Meelis Saar wrote:
Hello!

I try to centralize DHCP. I have 2x K12LTSP5 boxes and one Centos for
shared /home and samba.

I wish to transfer DHCP server from FC5 base to Centos, but it seems not
working. FC5 clients just stopping, searching TFTP....

I got this behaviour months ago, testing Xubuntu terminal server with DHCP
on FC5.

Is it possible get FC, EL, Centos and Ubuntu terminal servers work
together with same DHCP server?