Re: [K12OSN] DHCP and different LTSP distros

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Strictly speaking, you're correct; DHCP relay would also work.  We must
remember, though, that the person coming behind the original installer
(quite possibly a schoolteacher) needs to be able to figure it out, too,
not just gearheads like you and me.  With LTSP, you likely won't have
Cisco routers at each LTSP segment; the LTSP server itself is doing that
L3 segmentation.

Yes, but on 2-NIC (or more) servers you'd probably just run separate dhcpd's on each server and routers wouldn't be connected.

Correctly configuring DHCP relay agents on those LTSP
servers is a bit beyond *most* school tech admins.

And there wouldn't be much advantage of setting up the relay vs. a local dhcpd.

Therefore, it's typically a lot easier to get your network engineer, i.
e. someone like me, to pop some ports into a VLAN without questioning it
than it is to convince me to let someone stand up a second DHCP
*anything*.  The former, I'll say, "sure, no prob, give me two
minutes."  The latter...waitasec, we need to talk BIG TIME first.  This
is to avoid handing out, say, 192.168's on that 10.x.x.x network and
taking down half the school as a result.

Agreed, you don't want to mix dhcp servers on any subnet, but what I'm suggesting is that all routers be configured with the same ip helper-address which would rarely if ever need to be changed, and that a single server be configured to control all the dhcp assignments for all your routed subnets. In a multi-ltsp server environment, I'd probably want to run this service on the box providing LDAP and the home directories but any dhcp server should work.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com