Re: [K12OSN] Greg reminds us to taste the soup

David D. Nelson wrote:
What I don't think you may realize is that for you to
make the comparison to you becoming a teacher you have
to be teacher full time AND be a systems engineer full
time. It isn't always about not wanting to learn it is
about only having 24 hours in a day. I know from
personal experience. In addition to my full time
teaching load I had to take a school from the dark
ages to modern times. My regular work day started at 6
or 7 in the morning and lasted non-stop until 6 or 7
in the evening when I took a break and then went back
and did more work on the servers, workstations,
network, etc. In the 14 years I did that job I learned
and used 6 different OSs in different capacities. I
wasn't afraid to learn but it sure took a ton of time.

That's a choice that you made...and it was clearly a noble one. It's one that I myself might make, depending on the situation. However, that doesn't change the fact that you still made the choice to accept the technology position...and you clearly made the time to own up to that job responsibility and learn the technology. Far as I'm concerned, you rock.

There is a good chance that the "science teacher"
really doesn't have the time to spend learning the CLI
for those infrequently used items. That said, I have
met science teachers who are superb science teachers
but who don't have a good handle on how computers
work. It is not that they can't it is that they have
absolutely no desire to learn it.

I have no problem with a teacher that doesn't have a desire to learn the technology. It's not for everyone, any more than accounting is for me. However, anybody who accepts the position of "Technology Coordinator" needs to actually learn the technology. If you can't--or don't want to--put in the necessary time, then leave that position open for someone else who does (e. g. an actual tech person). If those teachers just don't have the desire to learn it, then why are they accepting the technology position instead of leaving it open for an actual tech person who actually has technology expertise? I think that's a fair question that goes to the heart of this whole thread.

--TP