Re: [K12OSN] OT: quote on file / mail server

While I like this idea due to its simplicity, I'm not sure it'll work for us. User passwords need to be changed periodically. There will be a group policy controlling who gets access to what file shares. Most clients are running Windows machines. Single sign-on would be very desirable. I need to make sure the users don't feel like the Linux server is causing them additional work (even if it is just entering an additional password).

Keep the ideas coming, though.

-Rob

Barry Cisna wrote:
Rob,

Sometimes people make things more complex than they really need to be. For
only 20-30 users for email,a simple install of k12ltsp then add ;
1. Sendmail ( or postfix) as your MTA.
2. Dovecot for your IMAP server.
3. Webmin , for easy administration of these.
4. Procmail, (this lets you use Spamassassin/Clamav if you want to).
5. Squirrelmail, this gives you your "Webmail" interface for easy access,
maintenence free setup remotely.
6. Add you users to this server.Takes about 20 mins to add 30 users.

Done.

These programs are all on the k12ltsp Cd's . How much easier can it be:)
You have a working reliable email server with all the features you'll ever
need. Cost = $0.
If you dont have a server for your hardware , simply purchase a $1,000
server from Tigerdirect or were ever you buy your pc parts from and your
up and going.
FYI: This combination will work fine with any email client,be it MS Mac
Linux. BTW:, Sqiurrelmail now has plugin for MS meeting place along with
many many other neat plugins if you so desire.

This is actually the combination most ISP's use ( such as Frontiernet),etc.
Your school admins will probaly blow about needing MS as your server. Tell
them you want something reliable and maintenence free:).
My 2 cents.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna