Re: [K12OSN] OT: quote on file / mail server

Sudev Barar wrote:
On 28/06/07, Rob Owens <rowens bio-chemvalve com> wrote:
Regarding email, what I really want is this:  When a user connects to
the mail server, all mail from the server is synchronized to their local
machine.  When a user deletes an email, whether from their server-side
folders or from their local folders, that also gets synchronized.  When
a user connects to the mail server from a different mail client, the
same thing happens.

IMAPS is the way out. I know you said IMAP is not allowed but IMAPS
works under SSL so this should not be a security hole.

IMAP(S) can be set to synchronise local (laptop etc.) folders with
remote (mailserver) folders. So when user does off-line work and
deletes mail next time he connects the folders synchronise. You can
set up multiple clients for single user and all clients will
synchronised when ever they connect to server.
I may not have explained our setup clearly enough. Currently, *all* services from our local network to the outside world go through a security "portal" at our parent company. For a user to get access to our email server, they log into this portal and are then allowed to log into a terminal server on our local network. The terminal server has an email client (Outlook) which is used to send/receive email. The user cannot use the email client on their laptop to send/receive mail when out of the office. It's not an ideal setup. I agree that allowing IMAPS through the firewall would be preferred. But right now I am simply trying to duplicate the current setup with the exception of using a Linux mail server and Thunderbird as the mail client (on both the laptops and the terminal server). Arguing w/ the parent company about IMAPS will have to wait for another day.

-Rob