[K12OSN] OT: quote on file / mail server

Rob Owens rowens at bio-chemvalve.com
Thu Jun 28 16:01:00 UTC 2007

Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 28/06/07, Rob Owens <rowens at bio-chemvalve.com> wrote:
>> Regarding email, what I really want is this:  When a user connects to
>> the mail server, all mail from the server is synchronized to their local
>> machine.  When a user deletes an email, whether from their server-side
>> folders or from their local folders, that also gets synchronized.  When
>> a user connects to the mail server from a different mail client, the
>> same thing happens.
>
> IMAPS is the way out. I know you said IMAP is not allowed but IMAPS
> works under SSL so this should not be a security hole.
>
> IMAP(S) can be set to synchronise local (laptop etc.) folders with
> remote (mailserver) folders. So when user does off-line work and
> deletes mail next time he connects the folders synchronise. You can
> set up multiple clients for single user and all clients will
> synchronised when ever they connect to server.
I may not have explained our setup clearly enough.  Currently, *all*
services from our local network to the outside world go through a
security "portal" at our parent company.  For a user to get access to
our email server, they log into this portal and are then allowed to log
into a terminal server on our local network.  The terminal server has an
email client (Outlook) which is used to send/receive email.  The user
cannot use the email client on their laptop to send/receive mail when
out of the office.

It's not an ideal setup.  I agree that allowing IMAPS through the
firewall would be preferred.  But right now I am simply trying to
duplicate the current setup with the exception of using a Linux mail
server and Thunderbird as the mail client (on both the laptops and the
terminal server).  Arguing w/ the parent company about IMAPS will have
to wait for another day.

-Rob