Re: [K12OSN] release update...

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Here's a little K12LTSP 5.0EL testimonial.

Wednesday afternoon, I did a LTSP demo for some educators, nearly all of them from other countries. For the demo, I prepared two servers--K12LTSP 5.0EL and Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn. I had originally planned to do the demo with Edubuntu, but unfortunately, some technical difficulties came up. Something got corrupted somehow, because the box was not letting people log in. You got the login screen, but you couldn't actually log in...not from a thin client. And I didn't have time to troubleshoot it.

Fortunately, I had the K12LTSP 5.0EL box as a backup, which I finished building a day and a half before the demo. This thing performed absolutely flawlessly. It was actually quite uneventful, almost anticlimactic. That's a good thing, BTW. I asked a software distribution that was still hot off the presses (a day old, *maybe*) to do a command performance, and it did. Now, the only thing I need to do is get sound working with KDE on the terminals; it already works w/ GNOME.

You know, I'm glad that Edubuntu exists. It shows a lot of promise and looks very cool, and I *love* the Debian package management system. But whenever I've needed solidity and reliability, I've always ended up back at a K12LTSP EL release. Wednesday was one such case. Thanks to the new 5.0EL, I think I might've gotten a couple of people to start considering F/OSS in their own schools.

That's good to hear! I'll be doing a K12LTSP 5EL install this weekend. I hope it'll be just as much of a succes.

Nils Breunese.