[K12OSN] Ip #'s to machine names problem DNS

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Mar 3 02:07:24 UTC 2007

Hello All,

 We have been using one each of our K12LTSP servers for each one of our
schools two subnets as the dhcp server .AKA two subnets, two dhcp
servers. I'm not sure what I'm missing as machines names of the windows
boxes can be pinged from linux boxes.to windows boxes and vica versa. The
thing Id like to resolve is Ive always just used the default hosts file
and the default BIND dns setup. When using Ntop for example..all of the
windows boxes shows up as an ip address/or ws001 ws002 and so on. How can
I setup the dhcp server(s) to throw out the actual netbios name to Ntop?
I have setup the dhcp server(S) with the netbios setting as well as the
WINS setting also which are pointing to the winders 2003 domain
controller as the dns go getter.. Everything has worked hunky dory other
than NTOP just see the windows clients as ws001 ws003 and not Netbios
name as id like. BTW: Of course Ntop will show up the netbios names if I
static Ip an address into a windows box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Barry Cisna