[K12OSN] What's the deal with monitors?

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sat Mar 3 20:31:14 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I have some monitors that just don't play nice with k12ltsp.  When the
client boots and it gets to the "xorg" line, the monitor just switches
off.  For one monitor adding XSERVER = vesa makes it work.  I just
bought a cute little 15" monitor yesterday and XSERVER = vesa doesn't
even fix it.  It seems like its booting normally, then, click, the
monitor LED just goes red.  The monitor works on an Ubuntu Fat client
and the thin client can boot up normally, with the defaults, using a
variety of different monitors.  I'd love to use this tiny monitor, I'd
love to get away from vesa on the other thin client, but I don't know
what's wrong here.

What causes this phenomenon?  What can I do about it?

Thanks,

ck