[K12OSN] Dropbox directory permissions

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:36:32 UTC 2007

mkdir /home/inbox
chmod 1773 /home/inbox  (Not readable by others and sticky bit
prevents overwriting)

But if a clever kid happens to know the filename of another kid

cp /home/inbox/filename ~

unfortunately works. Not good.
==============================
My solution:
Write a 1 line bashscript /usr/bin/handin

cp -p $1 /home/inbox/

chgrp teacher /usr/bin/handin
chmod 2755 /usr/bin/handin   (setgid escalate priviliges to teacher group)

now

chgrp teacher /home/inbox
chmod 1770 /home/inbox

To hand-in a test students go
handin filename

But it does not work. I get

cp: cannot stat `/home/inbox/filename': Permission denied

Why? Apparently, setgid cannot change the group of the process to one
which you don't already belong to. So I have to add the teacher group
to all students, which defeats the purpose. So much for privilege
escalation of setgid. I even tried using setuid.

[root at server ~]# ls -ld /home/inbox/
drwxrwx--T  2 root root 4096 Mar  4 16:02 /home/inbox/
[root at server ~]# ls -l /usr/bin/handin
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 79 Mar  3 14:40 /usr/bin/handin

I get the same stat Permission denied error. Any suggestions?

--
Robert Arkiletian