[K12OSN] thin clients

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Mar 6 16:54:39 UTC 2007

Not really.  You only need enough CPU oomph to transfer and display
metadata--screen updates, keystrokes, mouse movements, and, if you've
turned on sound support, the LTSP sound daemon.  For that, you really
only need the processing power of an 80386.  Yes, an 80*3*86.  I
regularly use old Pentium-166's with 32MB DRAM in them, with no "flash
memory" at all, and they work great.

But there *are* a couple of things that *do* matter:

1.)  the video chipset, and
2.)  if it supports either PXE-booting or EtherBooting.

The video chipset is rather important.  We just had a discussion in
another thread about thin clients that, unfortunately, seem to have a
pretty sad video chipset in them (an old Trident type).  This is, we
believe, causing some issues with video playback, especially in
full-screen mode.  I've got a Pentium II-300 and a Pentium-166, both
with Matrox Millenium G400 video cards in them, and video playback works
very nicely.

If you can get "fan-less" thin clients, that is, thin clients that use
just a mondo heatsink with no fan, then so much the better.  It's
quieter, and there's one less part to break down the line.  Not by any
means critical, but it is nice.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus