[K12OSN] Deep Freeze / Win XP

Joe Korzeniewski jkorz at mceschools.com
Tue Mar 6 18:09:49 UTC 2007

Stay away from deep freeze! There is an angry ex-employee of faronics out there who releases this little gadget called deep unfreezer. I leaned this the hard way after my predecessor had paid thousands of dollars for a license (sufficed to say that we do not renew our support). This basically is an .exe that allows someone to thaw a computer without a password. Have you checked into something like edubuntu on the desktop or a K12LTSP server (both of which are far simpler to manage... and free)?

Joe Korzeniewski
Technology Director
Mason County Eastern Schools
231-757-1120

>>> dhaley at poland-hs.u29.k12.me.us 3/6/2007 10:43 am >>>
I am looking for information concerning using Deep Freeze with WIN XP
(service pack 2) as well as using Anti Virus software, such as McAfee
A.S.A.P. Is there anyone using this type of configuration or something
close to it? If so, I would like to hear any pro's or con's that you
have experienced.

David Haley
I.T. Dept
Poland Regional High School