[K12OSN] Teacher Tool

Theo Turner Theo.Turner at CumnorHouse.com
Mon Mar 12 18:47:06 UTC 2007

Thanks, I now have this running (I admit on a windows box) using a batch
script that just loops. The pictures are then view through a web browser
as a thumbnail of each computer. The Webpage refreshes itself every few
seconds which updates the screenshots. The pictures are linked to a page
with the full size picture. Clicking on this launches the java web based
vnc viewer on the machine being viewed and the teacher can then control
the pc or just view it live.

This all seems to work OK. One improvement I would like but don't know
how to do is to have the script recognize a failed snapshot (like when
the computer is switched off) and use a different standard image. Then
it could be clear at a glance that not all the PC's are on. This is
significant as when a PC is off it takes a lot longer attempting to
capture that screen. If several are off this adds a significant time lag
before the images a re all re-captured.

It's not a major problem but it would be nice. Having it web based is
very elegant as it works well on both windows and Linux clients even on
LTSP as the refresh rate is only every few seconds.

Theo