[K12OSN] Blade Server for LTSP?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 13 17:41:19 UTC 2007

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

> That's how I'd be looking at consolidation.  The POWER5 boxes ain't
> cheap, but neither is a good multi-core x86-64 server.

The problem I have with any of the blade or large box products is that
your future upgrade path is limited to either whatever this vendor
provides or swapping out the whole thing, plus it really doesn't make
sense to use the same type of hardware as a file sever and an pplication
server.  I think a good approach would be to take an older but
heavy-duty (dual power supplies, hot-swap drive bays, etc.) server and
run something like openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/about/) on it as
the account/home dir server, and then use fast but not heavy-duty boxes
as the app servers, planning to replace them frequently to keep up with
processor technology.

By the way, has anyone tried openfiler's LDAP with k12ltsp clients?

--
   Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com