[K12OSN] electricity use

Tim Frichtel tfrichtel at socal.rr.com
Wed Mar 14 08:19:24 UTC 2007

I've gone through two office & server room remodeling projects where I
worked with the engineers.  A couple of things to keep in mind - per the
US National Electric Code, the continuous load on a 20A circuit
shouldn't exceed 80% (16A) and you do need to allow for load surges when
you start equipment. The engineers typically allowed for several PCs per
circuit, so I don't understand what Dell is telling your school.

Do you know if your room has dedicated circuits or does it share with
other classrooms?

My experience is a typical PC usually doesn't draw as much as the power
supply is rated at - maybe 150W during routine use. The stickers on
equipment are conservative and allow for maxing out a PC - fast CPU,
high-end graphics card, extra drives, memory etc.

An old PC with the hard drive, CD, floppy etc disconnected will use a
lot less power than a "fat" PC.  For instance, an old Dell P3 I use with
LTSP only draws 43W when running as a thin client.  Coupled with an LCD
monitor, you are looking at roughly 90W per station.   I've had great
success with HP's thin clients - base models ($200) work great with
LTSP, and draw around 18W when running.

You should be able run the lab on LTSP with less power (and heat and
noise) than you have today with 20 full PCs, even taking into account a
decent server, UPS and network switch.

Estimate with old PC thin clients:
1 Server &  LCD monitor - _maybe_ 300W (no redundant power supply)
20 old PCs, with CD, HD etc disconnected (45 W each) with LCDs (45W ea)
- 1800W
Network switch - less than 100W
Lab total = 2200W (18A)

Estimate with new thin clients:
1 Server & LCD monitor - _maybe_ 300W
20 thin clients (20W each) with LCDs (45W ea) - 1300W
Network switch - less than 100W
Lab Total =1700W.  (14A)

The estimates don't factor in the power needs of a UPS for your server
or allow for anything else to be plugged in, but you get the idea.  CRT
monitors and not having the budget for thin clients hurts the equation,
but if the school has some money for new PCs, you can get 5+ thin
clients for the cost of a nice new PC.

Tim