[K12OSN] electricity use

Doug Simpson veewee77 at alltel.net
Wed Mar 14 11:43:41 UTC 2007

In this discussion, we need to clear something up.

Just because a power supply in a computer says 300W does NOT mean that
that is what it makes the comuter draw regardless.  That number is the
maximum that that power supply is capable of delivering to the parts in
the computer. Changing from a 300W to a 100 watt (if you can) won't
change the draw of the computer much, if at all since the parts in the
computer use what they use.

Think of it this way, you have a giant, MEGAWATT power supply connected
to your house, but your house only *draws* a very small fraction of this
power. The computer has a 300W (rated) power supply, but the components
may only *draw* a total of 100W. The other 200W is not wasted. You are
just using 1/3 of the *rated maximum* of that power supply.

Hope this clarifies this. . .

Doug