[K12OSN] LTSP detailing required for Nepal

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 03:49:34 UTC 2007

On 15/03/07, Shishir Jha <shishirjh at gmail.com> wrote:
> How could using 2 servers in two different subnet supporting 15 clients each
> in 100 mbps network do for the requirement do. The server could be HT
> enabled PIV with 1.5-2 GB of RAM with workstations of PIII with intel 8x0
> boards and 64 MB Ram. Could this be a viable option or not.

Clients are not the issue here. Even if they are 32MB RAM (yours are
64MB) you can always enable swap memory.

Two server on SAME sub-net with round robin dhcpd setup would be
better. See previous posts / wiki for how this is to be setup. One
server would also do NFS export of /home and the other would do NFS
mount of /home directory if individual user accounts are to be used.
If only guest accounts are to enabled then even this is not needed.

IMHO hyper threading (HT) does not really bring in as much benefit as
dual core CPU's do, and today they are almost as (in)expensive as
P-IV's. Max the RAM I would rather put 4GB in one server than make two
servers. Save that money of second server and put it in a SCSI drive
(two with mirroring would be even better).

100mbps network will do the job. Have the 1000mbps connection between
server and switch it would be better. If you have two servers then you
may need gig connection here also.

> By flash i meant flash content prepared in Macromedia Flash/Director for
> community to be taught about HIV/AIDS and other health issues after the
> school is over for general information spread

Try this on a single server and  client and monitor network traffic
with something like iptraf. You would get idea of how much network
traffic is likely. IMHO this would not be issue if you use
server-switch on gig link. Again try this program on desktop and
monitor top and free -m for load and memory.

HTH
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: Where are you located?
PPS: My favourite bugbear - please try inline/bottom replies it will
help all to contribute more.