[K12OSN] OT: Required use of IE by State DOE

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:35:28 UTC 2007

All,

This is off-topic, but apparently the DOE for Delaware is developing
software (paying for the development) which will require the use of IE in
order to be used.  When asked why, the response is typically of the form
'because that is what we want'.  Now, this is going to impact the use of
K12LTSP (or the adoption of anything that is not MS-centric).  So, has
anyone come up with a legal requirement that would make requiring the use of
a specific browser by a specific vendor on the vendor's hardware illegal?  I
don't see how Section 508 can be used to get around this, but perhaps
someone on the list knows something.  Delaware is a very very very
MS-centric approach to IT.  In fact, the Delaware CIO boasts about the close
ties of Delaware and MS.  He was formally the Verizon lobbyist to the state.

We are a small enough state (2 degrees of separation for most people) that
if there is something questionable about the proposed approach, it can be
changed but only with really good reasons.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins