[K12OSN] OT: Required use of IE by State DOE

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Thu Mar 15 16:45:53 UTC 2007

This is a long route, but I don't know that there's an alternative.  Get to know your
local state reps.  Explain how IE-only plans of the DOE will shut out ALL the Macs in
schools, since IE isn't being maintained for Mac any more, how the modern approach is to
code to open standards so people are not locked into specific vendor's products.  Remind
those reps that 20 years ago, all the various mail services--Sprint, CompuServe, AOL,
etc.--were proprietary and didn't talk to each other.  The Internet changed all that,
and that's why it stomped those proprietary services.  The DOE's approach is a reversion
back to proprietary approaches that don't do the job.  Get the reps to understand that
the DOE's strategy will end up costing the schools MORE money because they'll have to
buy expensive equipment (Windows boxes) just to accomodate the DOE's shortsightedness.

Then ask the reps to help the DOE adopt a more open approach, e.g., something that
complies with W3C standards rather than just accomodating one vendor.

(There's an idea brewing here: Having government officials say they have great
connections with a private business, such as your CIO has done, reminds me of the line
from Styx's "Too much time on my hands": "I've got dozens of friends and the fun never
ends, that is, as long as I'm buying".  Government shouldn't really have close ties to
any vendors.  Private businesses, sure, they can have ties with whoever they want, they
have no obligation to be neutral.  But government is different.  Unfortunately, it
sounds like your CIO doesn't quite grasp that.  Who *doesn't* have good ties to their
vendors?  The vendors are supposed to be your 'servants', although there's a price.)

Petre