[K12OSN] DST Changes?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 15 18:03:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:01:06 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote
> Shawn,
>
> I had a similar problem with a RHEL3 machine.  I installed the tzdata
> package, and the zdump command shown below worked, but the date still
> didn't show right after the DST switch over on sunday.
>
> I found the problem was the /etc/localtime
>
> On some systems its a file that contains timezone info.  On other
> systems it's a symlink to a file (in my case /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT).
>
> when you run a command that gets the current time, like the 'date'
> command, it looks at /etc/localtime.  if that file or link isn't
> correct, it'll still report the wrong time.
>
> So, either you need to re-point that symlink at the correct zoneinfo
> file, or you need to copy the correct zoneinfo file on top of it.
>
> save a copy of the original file tho.  And, there should be no problem
> doing this while the system is running.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

Thanks Jim, I had one server that exhibited the problem you state above.  All checks
showed my system was ready, then when I checked the time on Monday it was off.  I'll
take a look at the files you pointed out.

In the meantime I used the very cryptic and complex date command, it was a stressful 15
seconds but I got through it :-)