[K12OSN] OT: Required use of IE by State DOE (what MAINE did)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Mar 15 23:39:23 UTC 2007

Maine actually went through this a few years back with the MEDMS project
(Maine Education Data Management System....which is a statewide database
of students and teachers....it's a decent system, but didn't start out
that way)  The initial project was contracted out to a company called
XWave who started developing the app so it would really only work with IE.
 The tech folks in Maine put up a huge stink....myself included.  There
are many of us running Linux in Maine....and many running Mac OS X....it
was absolutely ludicrous that we should have to buy Windows just to use
software funded by the taxpayers....not to mention probably illegal.
C'mon Delaware!  Ya'll get together and challenge this!  Don't sit back
and let it happen....act like a Mainer!  ;-)  Anyway...long story
short...Maine scrapped the initial project....fired XWave and did it
right.  Now it works with just about any browser and it's pretty cool.
Nice to have too...it's worked nicely with our one-to-one statewide laptop
project and makes it easy to set things up.  I can simply download the
MEDMS data for my school and easily use it to create usernames...etc.
It's all hosted at the state.  Anyway....fight the good fight!