[K12OSN] Kids shutting down Ubuntu LTSP server...how to prevent

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:10:17 UTC 2007

On 16/03/07, David Trask <dtrask at vcsvikings.org> wrote:
> I'm asking this question on behalf of someone who came to me for help.  I
> believe he is running an Ubuntu server running LTSP  (not Edubuntu)....and
> he tells me that the kids have discovered that they can sleep, hibernate,
> or even shutdown the server via Gnome.  (I think)  I know there is a fix
> out there, but cannot remember what it is...I'm assuming it's something in
> GDM.  Can any of you help?

If you look at default shutdown command listing it shows :
sudev at base:~$ ls -al /sbin/shutdown
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23976 2006-05-23 16:10 /sbin/shutdown

I would chmod that to 750 Then only root or pepople with sudo right to
root will be able to shut down. SImilarly for sleep / hibernate.

HTH
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar