[K12OSN] OT: hard drives and magnets

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Fri Mar 16 16:42:45 UTC 2007

Eric Brown wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently running a recovery (unformatting) program on the disk so
> I can see what the browser history and such were before the culling of
> the drive.  The reason I want to make sure I'm on firm ground here is
> that the student's mother is very difficult to deal with, and believes
> anything her child tells her, unless there were 20 witnesses and a
> video of any transgression.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Oh you have parents like that too? I thought that was only a west-coast
thing :)

Magnets wipe out floppies pretty well..(ever used one of those
'curiously strong magnets'..fun stuff to show ppl how dumb floppy usage
still is...but a HardDrive(I find that difficult to believe through all
of the shielding and protection etc..)

On a side note, I did manage to lock myself out of my hotel room
multiple times by putting the key-card in the same pocket as my
cellphone...it wipes the card clean..but that is LOW BUDGET magnetic
strips(and Myth Busters dispelled the "magnets wiping your credit card's
magnetic strip" myth)...so suffice it to say I've got a 'deer in the
headlight' look same as you :)

--Huck