[K12OSN] Upgrading

Paul Nelson pnelson.k12 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:22:50 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Michael Blinn <mblinn at peopleplaces.org> wrote:
> Is there a relatively safe upgrade method that does not include
> backup/format/install? Has anyone else gone from 5 to 6 by installing
> k12ltsp-release-6.0.0-2.noarch.rpm ? I've done this on Fedora boxes but
> not K12LTSP boxes..
> Thanks,
>   Michael

I just upgraded a K12LTSP 5 to a 6.

Here's what worked for me (with Eric's help, thanks Eric!)

Download the k12ltsp-release and fedora-release packages for your system.

yum update k12ltsp-release-6.0.0-2.noarch.rpm fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm

Then "yum clean all" and "yum update"  (1+ gig and it may take some time...)

I had a dependency problems with the version of cups I was running so
I had to revert to the older package before yum would update. I
downloaded the cups packages from ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us and
did a:
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage cups*
to install the older packages and then ran yum update again and it all worked.

One more thing is the kernel. With fc6 you don't have to use
kernel-smp and can just use the normal kernel package (which will
detect multiple cpus). Your update will miss this and leave a fc5
kernel-smp on. Simply "yum install kernel" and you'll get the latest
fc6 kernel and once you're up and running with that, rpm -e kernel-smp
to remove the fc5 kernel and you're done.

;-) Paul