[K12OSN] 100Mbit switch vs. 100Mbit hub

Olivier Mugnier olivier.mugnier at laposte.net
Mon Mar 19 21:24:13 UTC 2007

On heavy traffic, the server talk a lot....

But:

There communication from the client to the server as well...
Imagine that all your 20 client ask 1 questions to the servers...
You are (with a Hub) saying to them: Wait a second to the first....
Wait 2 second to the other one... and then wait 3,4,5,...
And, 1 second latter, the first one try again... you're again telling him
wait
a second....
1 Second latter, you have both 1 and 2 asking you... Since there are 2 at
the same time, collision appear... And they will try again a bit latter....

With a switch... You said nothing to them... you just take the packet in,
wait
for the server to listen... and send it to the server (queuing)

Much more efficient... (as in classroom, the first to ask, the first to
answers
the second one wait until the first have finish his question, than the third
one...)

So has the server on it side.... It will send data as much as he can... but
the switch
will wait until he as finished talking to ask him something new...

Slowing down the fill by queuing is more efficient than making all of them
talking as
the same time...
(As for car jame... better slowing down speed and be regular than going fast
on 30 feet
then stop)