[K12OSN] Full system file access from terminals??

Vince Callaway vince at totalsense.com
Tue Mar 20 23:07:33 UTC 2007

I'm surprised it didn't work out of the box.  It has every time for me.
I even migrated a couple of fedora boxes to K12LTSP by adding the
repository and loading the packages.  No issues.

The concept of thin client is actually an old one. Companies like NCD,
Neoware, WYSE and others have built self booting computers that do
nothing but connect to an xwindows session and log in.  The server
actually runs the application and each user appears as a login on the
server.  So they would have full filesystem access.  It is not an issue
under linux.

The advantage of this setup is the client computer handles the graphics
processing.  The clients CPU architecture is also unimportant.  So long
as a compatible windowing session is running.  That is why we can have
macs act as thin clients on an intel based linux server.  The other
advantage is the client only needs enough processing power and ram to
handle graphics and a small bootloader.  I just bought two used neoware
boxes off ebay for $10 each.  These old thin clients still operate fine
for ltsp even though these were 300mhz cpus.