[K12OSN] rdesktop

Michael mparic at compbizsolutions.com
Wed Mar 21 16:30:28 UTC 2007

Ernie,
Yes, you can as I'm doing that at a High School to run Larson Algebra
from a Windows 2003 Server that connects to the Linux Domain
Controller via Samba and LDAP. To make it simpler for the students
and more secure for the school, I created an Application Launcher
desktop icon that starts rdesktop and runs just the program (no
Windows desktop). For security reasons I have the students enter
their username and password to access the Windows server (it's the
same as their Linux log in as it's stored in an LDAP directory). When
they close the Windows program they are automatically logged out of
the Windows server and rdesktop. Sound works great as long as sound
is working on the thin clients (see my other posts for issues I'm
running into with KDE).

Here's the command line I use for the launcher:

esddsp rdesktop -r sound:local -d DomainName -f -s "C:\PathToProgram"
ServerIPAddress

The -r switch redirects the sound to the thin client, the -d is your
Samba/Windows Domain Name, -f forces full-screen, -s starts the
specified program and I connect to the Windows server via IP address
as it's the most consistent.