[K12OSN] How do you setup clients so they print to different default printers?

wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com
Wed Mar 21 18:07:24 UTC 2007

> wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com wrote:
>>> You'll have to assign specific addresses to the clients in
>>> /etc/dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf.
>>> Then you can control the default printer based on the workstation name
>>> or
>>> address.  For
>>> example, you could create the following script, call it set_printer.sh,
>>> and put it in
>>> /etc/profile.d.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> # Set default printer based on which workstation is being used
>>> ws=$(echo $LTSP_CLIENT|cut -d. -f1)
>>> case $ws in
>>>    ws001 ) lpoptions -d library_printer ;;
>>>    ws002 ) lpoptions -d library_printer ;;
>>>    # and so on for the library workstations
>>>    # now assign printers for the lab workstations
>>>    ws013 ) lpoptions -d lab_printer ;;
>>>    ws014 ) lpoptions -d lab_printer ;;
>>>    # and so on
>>> esac
>>>
>>> ### End of script
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Petre
>>
>> The script above looks good but is it okay to just create a .lpoptions
>> in
>> each user's home directory for the library computers
>> (/home/library#/.lpoptions) and add this in? Will it work?
>>
>> /home/library#/.lpoptions
>> Default LTSPLibrary-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true
>>

>> /etc/cups/lpoptions (LTSP SERVER)
>> Default LTSPLab-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true
>> Dest LTSPLibrary-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true
>>

>> -Wilson
>>
> Well, as I see it, you want the _user's_ default printer to change
> depending on _which
> client_ that user is logging in, which are two different variables.  So,
> unless you put
> some mechanism in the user's `/.lpoptions that detects which client
> machine is being
> used, the .lpoptions route won't do you any good; it will only work for
> one location.
> The script above looks at what client machine is being used, and then sets
> lpoptions
> based on that.  I'm not very familiar with lpoptions, I just use it to set
> a default
> printer; perhaps one can include such logic in the ~/.lpoptions file.
> OTOH, is the
> set_printer.sh script not working for you?
>
> Petre

Hi Petre,

I haven’t tried the script because I was a bit cautious on hard coding the
IP address of clients. The way our school is setup the students login to
the terminals with the terminal's name (library1) as their login/passwd.
So, each of the 12 library computers is labeled as library1-12 and the lab
is labeled as station1-15. So, if this is the case I could do the
/home/username/.loptions and add in the default printer.

Do you know if I can just use the /etc/cups/lpoptions file and modify it
for each user's /home/username/.loptions?

Wilson