[K12OSN] K12LSTP 7

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Mar 22 15:49:47 UTC 2007

Mel Wade wrote:
> Thanks for all the explanations...  Very helpful.
>
> Where does Ubuntuedu fit in this?  I know many prefer Ubuntu for a
> desktop OS, but it seems that I have read here that it doesn't cut it
> yet for a full blown LSTP in an education market.  Any insight?

The differences between all Linux distributions boil down to the install
and administrations methods and the choices of application versions that
go into a particular distribution version.   Once you are running
everthing is mostly the same.  Fedora/RHEL/Centos all grow out the RPM
packaging style developed by Red Hat, with new app versions and major
changes going through a few fedora revs before being incorporated into
RHEL, then rebuilt as Centos.  Fedora and Centos use yum as the higher
level package manager and updater to deal with dependencies; RHEL uses
up2date with subscription access.  Ubuntu is built on the Debian disto
base, using .deb packages with apt-get as the higher level manager.
Debian has a long history and a lot of contributed packages but they are
strictly non-commercial with an attitude of "when it's ready" for new
releases so they often lag behind other distributions in what they call
their 'stable' version.  Ubuntu adds scheduled releases and some
user-friendliness to their version but they are still fairly new.  They
haven't been through a 'big' upgrade (like changing the kernel from a
2.4 to a 2.6 version) yet so it is hard to compare how well things like
that will go.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com