[K12OSN] Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:22:25 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, Joe Korzeniewski <jkorz at mceschools.com> wrote:
> Any idea where they are getting these clients from?

Not sure who their supplier is but I checked the prices on newegg

Case  ($40 USD )
Apex Supercase DM317
http://www.apextechusa.com/products.asp?pID=4

Motherboard  ($63 USD )
BioStar AM2 6100 Mainboard
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=GeForce%206100%20AM2

Processor (Actually the Sempron 3000+ is now $41 USD)
AM2 Sempron 2800
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

RAM  ( $35 USD )
512mb KINGSTON DDR-2 667 memory
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR667D2N5/512

***For a grand total of $179 USD***

A couple of points:

-The TX series cases, have some mini towers, although a little bigger
than the DM series they are probably  quieter because of the bigger
PSU fan

-There is a similar motherboard made by a division of asus called
Asrock with some additional features as compared to the Biostar.
Although Kamloops is not using this one since it's just released:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ALiveNF6G-DVI

-parallel printer port
-gigabit nic
-dual independent video output with a DVI card

It's selling for $69 USD (there are some reviews on newegg) and here
is a linux compatibility review of it from last Dec.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/3686
Although nvidia has come out with newer binary drivers since then so
*maybe* the pci id is no longer an issue. It's only $6 more than the
Biostar and you can run 2 displays (as long as one monitor supports
DVI) plus a gigabit nic. Well worth it in my opinion.