[K12OSN] reinstalling gnome after server upgrade

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Mon Mar 26 16:44:15 UTC 2007

hello All,

  Has anyone attempted to reinstall gnome? After upgrading from an K12LTSP
4.4.1 to 5.0 server the gnome enviornment is hosed. I should have done a
fresh install,,I know. When logging into Gnome I get about 3-4 errors. "
gnome settings daemon could not start", followed by about 3
bonobo-activation server errors. Even the console login is scrambled a
bit :( the login box is there , but,  the text is scrambled on it.I can
log into KDE & Icewm fine ( at a terminal)which is strange?Trying to
login into the console I get the same errors as seen at a terminal Gnome
login. Ive found the possible fix being
 ' /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon --sync ' but when running this I
simply get a return of " Segmentaion fault" . I'm wondering if possibly
the RAID drive(S) may be scrambled? I dont think so beings KDE & Icewm
works alright?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Barry Cisna