[K12OSN] Help needed: Wheel mouse doesn't work for thin clients

john lists.john at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:19:15 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've rolled out two ltsp clusters at our school district, both using Ubuntu
6.06 LTS desktop.  So far things are working well, however I have a problem
that I can't seem to resolve. The thin clients have optical wheel mice and
the wheels won't scroll at all.  Googling and Ubuntu forum searches haven't
solved this one for me. I DO know that this problem is fixed in 6.10 but I
don't want to upgrade since I like the idea of the long term support for
packages offered via 6.06 lts.

I think there may be a fix either with X11 or simply through xorg.conf but I
have yet to narrow it down.

My servers running 6.06 lts desktop are running:
 x11-common 7.0.0-0ubuntu45

The relevant section of the xorg.conf page looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

In contrast, my workstation running 6.10, on which the optical wheel mouse
scrolls just fine is running:
1:7.1.1ubuntu6.2

The relevant section of the xorg.conf page looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

both computers are running the psmouse module

Anyway I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks!

John