Re: [K12OSN] imacs as thin clients?

Hey Joe,

We use Renaissance Learning's renplace hosted software...  Web-based version of Accelerated Read, Star reading, etc.  Most educators love it but it's a pain for those of us tasked with getting it working.

Typical of many vendors, asking for firefox and/or linux support gets routed to /dev/null

I've been able to kind of get it working using WINE and the windows version of firefox...  Have you run into WINE issues on the imacs?

Joe Korzeniewski wrote:
I have a bunch of them up and running... Your server config should work out of the box (for all except the ones with clear cases and front loading trays). On the client side boot to open firmware by holding apple+option+O+F when you start. To boot once type 'boot enet:your.server.ip' to make it permanent type 'setenv boot-device enet:your.server.ip' then type boot to boot (you won't have to do that again). Let me know if you have any other questions about getting those old stinking macs working (the bondi's are tougher but still doable).

-Joe

Joe Korzeniewski
Technology Director
Mason County Eastern Schools
231-757-1120

jdavis standard k12 ca us 3/1/2007 12:53:38 pm >>>

Has anyone managed to get older PPC imacs to work as thin clients?  Can
someone point me to a howto?

Thanks,

-Jeff

begin:vcard
fn:Jeff Davis
n:Davis;Jeff
org:Standard School District
adr:;;1200 North Chester Ave;Bakersfield;CA;93308;usa
email;internet:jdavis standard k12 ca us
title:Technology and Information Systems Mgr
tel;work:661.392.2110
tel;fax:661.392.0681
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.standard.k12.ca.us