[K12OSN] OT:Microsoft Windows ousted at California school district

pogson robert.pogson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:37:24 UTC 2007

The story is pretty sparse. It looks to me that they had a couple of
issues:
User permissions for files and thin clients.

I do not understand the comment that they had to add one user at a time.
That is the Windows way. In Linux, one would use scripts and it would
take minutes. Perhaps they had to get the info out of AD first... That
makes sense if they wanted to keep users connected to their data. I had
the privilege of creating a system with no user history. I created staff
accounts from a list of usernames and created student accounts using APG
(Automatic Password Generator). I had teachers associate student names
with account userids. They could have solved their problems by grouping
staff, teachers, students. Perhaps they had staff that moved between
buildings...

I have never seen a Linux system that would not work with thin clients.
Use LTSP to boot the thin clients and an X connection to whatever server
you run.

I guess they got locked into Suse and their way of doing things and it
did not fit their setup. That is the problem with migration. You try to
do the same old thing with the new system when it is unnatural. I say,
make a clean break with the old system, automate account generation and
migrate the data. If Windows will not produce clean text files with user
information, scan the system with a Linux live CD or whatever to harvest
the information. If file directories match usernames, and teachers and
students are segragated it shoud be doable.

Robert Pogson

--
A problem is an opportunity.