[K12OSN] What's the deal with monitors?

Hi Folks,

I have some monitors that just don't play nice with k12ltsp. When the client boots and it gets to the "xorg" line, the monitor just switches off. For one monitor adding XSERVER = vesa makes it work. I just bought a cute little 15" monitor yesterday and XSERVER = vesa doesn't even fix it. It seems like its booting normally, then, click, the monitor LED just goes red. The monitor works on an Ubuntu Fat client and the thin client can boot up normally, with the defaults, using a variety of different monitors. I'd love to use this tiny monitor, I'd love to get away from vesa on the other thin client, but I don't know what's wrong here.
What causes this phenomenon?  What can I do about it?

Thanks,

ck