Re: [K12OSN] Pixelation with MPlayer

I have had _NO_ success with streaming video and linux thin clients. The
cpu it takes to decompress and then the bandwidth it takes to send the
final video stream exceeds what can be done with LTSP.

A 320x240 video at 30 fps and 16 bit color requires 36.864 Mbps
sustained bandwidth. Pump that through an ethernet connection and add
30% for connection overhead. 47.9 Mbps. The network systems can handle
it but not for more than 1 system.

In short, playing a TV set over a thin client network doesn't work.

Yes, standalone windows machine can play streaming video. Educate the
teachers so the understand that passive entertainment like watching
films and movies is done at the full class level in the media center. It
is not something to be done on thin client. They have some limitations.
This is a major one.