[K12OSN] Triple Booting and Grub

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Mon Mar 5 02:58:18 UTC 2007

Henry Hartley (I) wrote:

>> Thanks for the reply.  Oddly, when I set up the new drive, I only
>> created one partition so I don't know where that hdc4 came from.
>> I thought that if I was going to reinstall everything anyway, it
>> wouldn't hurt to mess with the partition table on hdc so I went
>> in to fdisk and removed the bootable flag on partition 4 and then
>> set it on partition 1.  Doubly odd is that now, when I look at
>> the partitions, there is no hdc4.  Of course, it still doesn't
>> boot properly to (hd2,0).

To answer my own e-mail, I found the solution.  The problem is that Windows will only boot properly from the first drive.  Stupid Windows.  Anyway, the authors of grub solved this little stupidity with the map command.  It lets you tell the system to treat (in my case) drive hd2 as hd0 and vice versa.  Brilliant.  This is the full grub.conf entry for my new XP install.  Note that the "boot" at the bottom is not needed as it is supplied implicitly but it doesn't hurt.  Thanks again for your time.

title Windows XP NEW (hd2,0)
        map (hd0) (hd2)
        map (hd2) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)