[K12OSN] Re: Dropbox directory permissions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 5 18:55:37 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>> But if a clever kid happens to know the filename of another kid
>>
>> cp /home/inbox/filename ~
>>
>> unfortunately works. Not good.
>> ==============================
>> My solution:
>> Write a 1 line bashscript /usr/bin/handin
>>
>> cp -p $1 /home/inbox/
>>
>> chgrp teacher /usr/bin/handin
>> chmod 2755 /usr/bin/handin   (setgid escalate priviliges to teacher
>> group)

I think you are doing this backwards.  If you use the normal RH/fedora
scheme where every user has a unique group, all you have to do is add
the appropriate teacher(s) to each student's group.  Then the dropbox
directory can be wx by all with the sticky bit set and only the teacher
and the student who owns it will have access to the file contents.

Or make it real simple and have the script email it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com