[K12OSN] Dropbox directory permissions

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:29:46 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is about as basic as you can get.  I created a script called
> copy_files_to_dropbox and put it /usr/sbin with a+x permissions.
>
> The launcher executes the script passing the filename to the script.  Then,
> neglecting the code for popping up the confirmation window, the script
> presently is just
>
> chmod 755 $1
> cp $1 /Dropbox_directory/.

I thought about this but what's to stop a kid from just copying it
him/herself without chmoding it. Also,  shouldn't your chmod be 750
since you don't want others to be able to read and thus copy it out of
Dropbox_directory?
And what about /temp where everyone has read/write access?

The reason I am being so anal about the security is because I give my
classes programming tests and I don't want them being able to copy
anothers solution. After having a chat with a friend about this,  I
think the best solution may be to simply ask the kids to save their
solution as their username.py in their own home dir. Then I write a
script that I run as root at the end of class to collect the
solutions.
Concerning /temp: will anything bad happen if I temporarily (during
the exam) disable writing or reading to /temp?

--
Robert Arkiletian