Re: [K12OSN] Re: Dropbox directory permissions

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

I think you are doing this backwards.  If you use the normal RH/fedora
scheme where every user has a unique group, all you have to do is add
the appropriate teacher(s) to each student's group.  Then the dropbox
directory can be wx by all with the sticky bit set and only the teacher
and the student who owns it will have access to the file contents.

No, I'm not using the standard RH scheme of giving each person their
own group. Even if I was setting wx for all still does not prevent a
kid from copying a file IF they know the filename.

That's under the user's control without any setuid tricks. Try 'chmod a-rwx' on the file, or setting umask to 0006 before the copy. Then no one but the owner or a group member can access the contents.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com