[K12OSN] Dropbox directory permissions

Joe Korzeniewski jkorz at mceschools.com
Tue Mar 6 14:36:21 UTC 2007

This is kind of a caveat....

Robert,

What grade level are you teaching them programming (I am assuming python) at? Did you find the curriculum or develop it yourself? Is this most of your students' first exposure to programming or are they introduced to it in lower grades with kturtle or something similar? I am trying to get our school to teach something other than keyboarding and office to our students and I think programming would be perfect. Anybody else having any luck with programming classes?

Joe Korzeniewski
Technology Director
Mason County Eastern Schools
231-757-1120

On 3/5/07, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is about as basic as you can get.  I created a script called
> copy_files_to_dropbox and put it /usr/sbin with a+x permissions.
>
> The launcher executes the script passing the filename to the script.  Then,
> neglecting the code for popping up the confirmation window, the script
> presently is just
>
> chmod 755 $1
> cp $1 /Dropbox_directory/.

I thought about this but what's to stop a kid from just copying it
him/herself without chmoding it. Also,  shouldn't your chmod be 750
since you don't want others to be able to read and thus copy it out of
Dropbox_directory?
And what about /temp where everyone has read/write access?

The reason I am being so anal about the security is because I give my
classes programming tests and I don't want them being able to copy
anothers solution. After having a chat with a friend about this,  I
think the best solution may be to simply ask the kids to save their
solution as their username.py in their own home dir. Then I write a
script that I run as root at the end of class to collect the
solutions.
Concerning /temp: will anything bad happen if I temporarily (during
the exam) disable writing or reading to /temp?

--
Robert Arkiletian