[K12OSN] newb question

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:18:19 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, Pete Horm <petehorm at hotmail.com> wrote:
> HI Everyone,
> My name is Pete. I have just installed a test k12ltsp on a virtual test
> server. I am using etherboot on  dhcp port 1067 on my clients.  I am able to
> authenticate to my windows 2003 active directory.  I am using the gnome
> desktop because It is fairly easy to attach to users folders residing on my
> Windows 2003 file server. In looking at the processes, it says my client is
> using around 150 megs according to the Teaching tool.

It does not take shared memory into account. Your clients are actually
using less. Run "top" and take a look at the RES and SHR columns.
Fl_Teachertool reports the total of RES but it does not subtract
shared memory SHR. If 30 kids are running firefox and each RES is 50M
with each SHR 15M then the actual consumed memory is 30x(50-15)+15 =
1065M not 1500M
At least that's my understanding.
--
Robert Arkiletian