Re: [K12OSN] Re: What's the deal with monitors?

I've found the following boards to be well supported in this capacity:

1.)  Matrox Millenium G400; includes the Marvel G400TV edition
2.)  ATI Radeon up to and including the 8500 series
3.)  ATI Rage 128
4.)  ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo
5.)  Integrated Intel video (the kind build into the motherboard)
6.)  If you don't need 3D acceleration, the S3 Trio64-based cards (e. g. the original Diamond Stealth64) are also good.

I've found that recent nVidia graphics boards do not work so well (slow VESA mode only).  That would include the GeForce 2 and later cards.  Just stay away from nVidious.

Also, 3DFX Voodoo 5500's are good cards, but they don't work so well in "XSERVER = auto" mode (they end up in slow VESA mode).  You've got to set these manually.

--TP
Do you GNU!?

Carl Keil wrote:
Hi Group,

Thanks for discussing my issue.  You've given me a few ideas to try.  I'm wondering, what video cards seem to be the most supported and flexible under k12ltsp's "XSERVER = auto" setting?  What should I be looking for when I'm pilfering through the bins at Free Geek (http://www.freegeek.org)?

Thanks,

ck