Re: [K12OSN] OT: wardriving

Hello all,

I've been amazed by the number of open wireless networks even in my
little town of about 10k.

A little while back, I wrote a paper for a graduate class I was taking
in network security.  I didn't get asked if I was Ghostbusting, but I
did get a number of strange looks with my setup.

You can find a copy of the paper at:
http://www.keokukhigh.net/~ericbrow/wardriving.pdf

I'm not sure what you mean by Windows being dangerous.  Netstumbler is
just a program that works at the application layer.  If you're meaning
that with your equipment it produced dangerous waves, I would think
it's more the extra equipment than the program.  While I'm no fan of
Windows, I'm just as disgusted with OS X at this time.  Our school's
wireless network is mostly open because those in charge can't get WEP
to work.  Furthermore, we're forced to use 10-base hubs because the
Macs flip out when hooked to a 100/1000 base switch (tested with
switches from multiple manufacturers).  I'd still use XP over OS X,
but I'd prefer FOSS over all.

As a country, we may end up with an accidential wireless mesh network yet.

Eric

On 3/8/07, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
ssh tranquility net wrote:
> Somewhat off topic for this list, but this is a pretty geeky bunch. I
> work with network security, and am an avid wardriver hobbyist as well.
>
> Last weekend I tried it in a plane. This is a situation where Windows
> will be bad for your health.
>
> http://forum.s-t-d.org/viewtopic.php?id=2930
>
> thx
> Scott S.

Yep, it's amazing how many wireless access points I've seen that are
wide-open or only using WEP.  And this is true even at a lot of
schools!  A few years back, some reporter in Atherton, CA (in Silicon
Valley) approached the local school district asking if wireless was
secured there.  They shooed him off, saying that it was just fine, thank
you.  He ended up proving that it wasn't and, because of the district's
bad attitude toward him, published an article about it, which went
nationwide.  Turns out their entire SASIxp student database was
available for the pickin'.  All of a sudden, that district decided that
they needed to secure their wireless...wow...imagine that...!

This is a situation where Windows infrastructures can be bad for your
*kid's* health.  We all know there are crazies out there, and we don't
need to make it easier for 'em.

--TP