Re: [K12OSN] Comment from principal about lab.

Hello,

I have been discussing this issue in the past with the principal, and
there seems to be different issues at work.

For example, a key area of contention is audio.  We used to have audio
with the lab, but then one day (I THINK it may have been after a yum
update) it just stopped working and I am totally unable to get it to
work again.

Another aspect is name recognition.  Windows XP has branding power.
Parents know it.  Principal knows it. Teachers know it.  No one has
heard of Linux.  So why are we using an operating system that no one
has heard of?  Same for Microsoft Office vs. Open Office.

If you cite the cost reason, it just creates a sentiment of
inferiority.  Oh - we have to use Linux because we can't afford
something better.  IE: I need to drive a old, beat-up used car because
I can't afford a new, name-brand car.  Instead of exploring the
possibilities that Linux provides, the people just see the lab as sort
of a holding pattern -- we're here until we can get something better.
Hence why I get comments like "Hopefully in the future it can be
Windows", mirroring "hopefully in the future I can get a better car".

That seems to be the situation here.

Thoughts?

Joseph