[K12OSN] teaching c++ using gcc/kate in a LTSP environment

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Mar 10 16:51:38 UTC 2007

Chris Bacigalupo wrote:
> Is anyone else doing this? We've been doing it now for several years.
> I'd REALLY like to start doing some 3D game programming. I've used the
> irrlicht API in a windows environment and have been looking alot lately
> at the crystalspace engine.
>
> I'm running into problems with openGL. I can have a lab (20 clients) all
> doing blender fine but when I try to compile and execute crystalspace
> demoes, I get masive and fatal crashes.
>
> I'm thinking I might have to install a graphic card on the server to
> enable openGL. I CAN get glxgears to fire up but the output is so choppy
> as to be un-usable. Anyone with feedback about this or similar
> experiences please respond.
>
> Chris Bacigalupo
> Technology Coordinator and Instructor
> Harbor City International School
> Duluth, Minnesota

Are you getting the choppiness on the thin client or on the server?  If
it's on the thin client, it sounds like a video driver issue.  I've seen
that come up when using newer nVidia or ATI cards, now that they don't
like to provide programming specs anymore (ATI used to, up to and
including the Radeon 8500).

Try tossing a Radeon 7500/8500 or Millenium G400 in your client and see
if you get better performance.  That worked for me.  Also, see if you
can give something with integrated Intel video a shot; Intel made their
video drivers Free Software last year.  They're not speed demons, but
they do work in 3D.

Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!