Re: [K12OSN] [OT] Why avoid html email

What I see everybody missing here is the fact that it's ENTIRELY up to the person composing the email whether they want to top-post, bottom-post, or inline-post their replies.

The very most important thing to me is, to make it as easy as possible for someone to offer their support on this (or any) list.

For me, sometimes i've got a quick answer, and I'll just post it at the top.

Sometimes, the person asking the question does so in a way that is formatted like a list of questions. In those cases, it makes great sense for me to try and answer each question individually, so that's what I'll do.

But above all, if someone wants to take a few seconds of their time to try and help somebody, the last thing I'll do is criticize how they post (top/bottom/inline). I'm MUCH more interested in the answer, than how it is presented.

If I were a LTRFTP (Long time reader, first time poster), and I posted a reply, and then had somebody tell me my method of replying was wrong, that'd be the last post I ever made to that list.

And now, i'll shut up, cuz I can't stand getting involved in discussions like this. They do nothing to help people use the software that we're so busy trying to provide.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

Peter Scheie wrote:
The thing is, I *like* having the cruft at the bottom in case I want to dig back into the history of the message. That doesn't happen frequently though, just sometimes, and so top-posting allows me to see just the latest message in the thread. Since I follow the list closely, this is the most efficient for me, but it may not necessarily be so for others. Bottom posting requires me to scroll down the message to see the latest addition to the thread. I would argue that saying everyone reads email the same way, or should read email the same way, is presumptuous.

I do agree that html should be avoided if possible, for all the reasons given.

Petre

Daniel Bodanske wrote:
Top posting is normally bad because the cruft at the bottom doesn't
get edited / deleted (just like I did here as an illustration), even
though it's not needed or wanted anymore.

Dan

On 3/12/07, Nils Breunese <nils breun nl> wrote:
Sudev Barar wrote:

> Thanks Joe, This is exact type of information I needed to bring in
> some list discipline. I know many people may not like it, just like
> frowns on inline and bottom posting requests.

A: Because it disrupts the proper flow of reading.
Q: Why is top posting bad?

Nils.