[K12OSN] active directory

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Mon Mar 12 19:23:37 UTC 2007

Pete Horm wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have my test server on a w2k3 network, and have made a home folder for
> AD users to use when they login.  It is /home/SCHOOL.
>
> 2 Questions.
>
> 1.  Is there a way to alter the push icons to desktop script to push
> icons to the users listed in the /home/SCHOOL folder?

push-icons-to-users-desktops is just a script, so you can modify it.  The real question
is, since /home/SCHOOL is actually a Windows directory, whether or not root has write
permissions to each user's directory with /home/SCHOOL/; my guess is no, but I could be
mistaken.  In case I'm wrong, and root does have the necessary permissions, look at
about line 40 in push-icons-to-users-desktops for the area to change to have it work
through /home/SCHOOL rather than /home.

> 2.  Is there a way to standardize a gnome desktop for these active
> directory users?  I tried a couple of different things that were
> suggested (/etc/skel) , but they don't seem to work. I can take the
> programs out of the /usr/share/applications. The reason I am using gnome
> is that it can easily attach to their windows network folders.  I need
> to keep it easy for the students, so that I can convince my
> administrators to give K12ltsp a try.

What do you mean by 'standardize a gnome desktop'?  Do you mean customize a gnome
desktop and then make that the default for all users?  If so, check out sabayon.

Petre